Cleveland Internet Business Attorney
An Internet Startup can be much more complex than the startup of a typical business, such as a retail establishment, manufacturer or distributor. The myriad of additional complexities arise in part because of the number of laws covering internet sales and commerce, because you are doing business throughout the country or even internationally, because there are generally not going to be face-to-face negotiations and simple agreements, and as a result of the ever-changing and highly competitive market. All this, while internet law is just developing and rapidly changing. At the same time, the internet business you are starting is most likely expensive to start, develop and market.
The startup of an internet business involves all the steps necessary in a typical business startup (see the initial aspects and steps of a typical business startup). In addition, from a legal standpoint, the initial aspects and steps we generally assist our internet startup businesses with at Petronzio Schneier Co., LPA include:
- Discussion of appropriate entity for interstate commerce.
- Review and negotiation of website design agreements, fulfillment agreements, hosting agreements, supplier and drop ship agreements, software development or licensing agreements.
- Discussion of necessity of insurance coverage and appropriate types of insurance agents.
- Discussion of necessity of accountant for interstate commerce and tax issues.
- Discussion of trademark and copyright protection or potential infringement issues. (This might necessitate the decision to retain an outside intellectual property attorney.)
- Discussion and preparation of employment, consultant, independent contractor, work for hire, non-competition, non disclosure, and outsourcing or joint venture agreements.
- Drafting and discussion of website Acceptance of Use, limitations of liabilities and other general terms and conditions pages and clauses.
- Drafting and discussion of online agreements, signature and confirmation methods.
- Drafting and discussion of limitations of use for minors or other inappropriate or excluded audiences.
- Discussions of potential link violation, framing violation, libel/defamation, hacker, spam, consumer protection issues.
There may be many other issues or matters involved with your situation or internet business setup, but the new business setup process and many of the issues above are typical in new internet business setups. The process can be relatively simple or very complex. In either case, we will work with you to isolate what to expect and the costs that will be involved in the beginning, to help you identify and consider the cost, possibilities and timing involved before starting the process. Many of the services, such as the business entity setup, the website terms and conditions, and many of the agreements can be provided on a flat fee basis. We can also provide a program of regular annual reviews and updates to your website terms and conditions. Please feel free to call me personally to discuss your particular situation. An initial consultation is provided without charge, and I would be pleased to be a part of your internet startup and success.